PDA

View Full Version : castoneves wint Indy 500 of toch niet ???

Raceboy
26-05-2002, 21:54
Helio wins Indy?(26/05/2002)
Helio Castroneves has provisionally won the 86th Indianapolis 500 after the race ended under caution for a crash involving Buddy Lazier and Laurent Redon. However Team KOOL Green and driver Paul Tracy also believe they won what will surely go down as a classic Memorial Day battle.

Helio Castroneves' second Indianapolis 500 victory in as many attempts was enough to get Roger Penske climbing the spectator fence on the front stretch of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway after a brave fuel gamble just about paid off.

However controversy surrounds the results of the 86th running of the Indy 500 as Team KOOL Green's Paul Tracy swept around the outside of the spluttering Marlboro Team Penske driver at the exact same time as Buddy Lazier and Laurent Redon crashed coming off turn two on lap 198 of the 200 lap event.

Although Tracy led back to the yellow flag Castroneves was declared the winner after it was adjudged that the Canadian driver took the lead while the race was under caution. Both Tracy and team principle Barry Green saw things differently and an official protest will be launched.

Behind the two leaders Felipe Giaffone took a close third for Mo Nunn Racing while Alex Barron sent the small Blair Racing operation into Orbit with a fine fourth place ahead of Eddie Cheever and Richie Hearn.

Pole sitter Bruno Junqueira led early on but retired when his engine expired causing then-leader Tony Kanaan to crash. Tomas Scheckter looked to have the race sown up when he crashed on lap 174 with a ten second lead while Sam Hornish Jr as also in contention under he brushed the turn four wall and lost 13 laps in the pits.

Full Results and Report will follow.

bron: crash.net

controversy oh yeah ;)

Mark
26-05-2002, 23:02
Nou volgens mij was het toch echt Tracy die won...maaruh Politiek. Castroneves (IRL) en Tracy (CART) daar zal wel het verschil in zitten..........

Trouwens een prachtige race...... prestatie van Scheckter was goed te noemen.......alleen is dat geloof ik de Zuid Afrikaanse versie van Verstappen. Van elke oval moet ie de muur kussen :D

Raceboy
26-05-2002, 23:04
Originally posted by Marshal N
Trouwens een prachtige race...... prestatie van Scheckter was goed te noemen.......alleen is dat geloof ik de Zuid Afrikaanse versie van Verstappen. Van elke oval moet ie de muur kussen :D

http://crash.to/muurtje ;)

*niet op klikken*

Alain
28-05-2002, 09:35
My signature rules ! ;)

Raceboy
28-05-2002, 22:02
oojk wel een applausje voor Robby Gordon. 8ste in de indy 500 en 16de in the coca cola racing family 600. Dat is dus 1100 mijl racen op 1 dag.

Raceboy
02-07-2002, 17:19
:rolleyes:

Indy 500 decision should happen this week
Indy boss satisfied with the evidence that has been presented

IRL president Tony George has indicated that he expects to announce his decision on the disputed Indianapolis 500 finish within the next week to 10 days.

George said that he will make his final determination on whether Team Penske's Helio Castroneves or Team Green's Paul Tracy should be the official winner of the race "as soon as it's practical". He also said that he was satisfied that the
appeal hearing over which he presided on June 17 had provided enough information for him to make a decision.

''I have my own advisers that I talk to, but at the end of the day, it's my decision,'' said George.

George had the option under IRL rules of handing off the final responsibility for the decision to an appeals board of racing experts, but decided against it.

''It was an important enough decision that I felt I was the best to handle it,'' he told AP. ''I didn't want to delegate it to anyone else.''

Under league rules, George's determination will be the final decision on the matter.

bron: autosport