PDA

View Full Version : BMW team belgium derde in Zweden

Raceboy
02-07-2002, 17:23
Anderstorp 2: BMW breaks duck <http://www.autosport.com/images/shim.gif> Jorg Muller takes last lap win for BMW in Sweden
Jorg Muller gave BMW its first ETCC win of the season after an enthralling battle with Rickard Rydell at the Swede's home circuit.

With the Swedish sun completely drying the Anderstorp track, all drivers started race two on slicks. From second on the grid Jordi Gene out-sprinted Tom Ferrier to lead going into the first corner, but both drivers missed their braking points and ended up in first corner gravel trap!

This handed the lead to Rydell and for the next 12 laps he looked comfortable out in front. However, going into the final lap Jorg Muller hauled his BMW 320i onto the bootlid of the leading Volvo and with just three corners left to run he ducked out of the slipstream and outbraked Rydell.

"I thought second place was fine for me really," Jorg Muller admitted after the race. "In the end when I passed Rickard, I do not know what happened to him. We had the same pace for the whole race but in the last three laps, he got a little bit slower. He tried to block me but it was fair and we had a nice fight. I touched him a few times but it was soft."

Race one winner Nicola Larini made a slow start and then dropped to the back of the field when he had to take evasive action after Tommy Rustad and Eric Cayrolle collided. The Alfa driver fought his was back to fourth, but a mistake in the final corner gifted the position to team-mate Fabrizio Giovanardi.

Fredrik Ekblom made it a BMW one-three and two Swedes on the podium by battling his way into third. Dirk Muller made it a good day for BMW by taking sixth.

ETCC Anderstorp, race 2
Pos Driver Car Time
1 Jorg Muller BMW 320i 22m25.537s
2 Rickard Rydell Volvo S60 +0.645s
3 Fredrik Ekblom BMW 320i +0.913s
4 Fabrizio Giovanardo Alfa Romeo 156 GTA +7.616s
5 Nicola Larini Alfa Romeo 156 GTA +11.797s
6 Dirk Muller BMW 320i +15.270s

bron autoport