PDA

View Full Version : Animo met Eddie

Alain
13-09-2002, 10:48
Spijtig als hij uit het veld verdwijnt ... ;)
In the days leading up to the Belgian Grand Prix, Jaguar Racing driver Eddie Irvine made remarks about fellow Formula One driver, David Coulthard and they weren't very flattering. Irvine claimed that David should give up on any dream he may have to become world champion one day as the Scotsman's career was being destroyed by his new McLaren teammate, Kimi Raikkonen.

David has been out-qualified more times than not by his younger less experienced teammate, Kimi Raikkonen, including the last time out at the Spa-Francorchamps circuit where the young Finn secured second spot on the grid to David's sixth placed attempt. Eddie's belief is that Raikkonen has basically killed David's career, putting the Scot even further into the shade with every passing event.

“David Coulthard can forget any dreams he may have of winning the world crown. He should even dismiss the notion that he is now McLaren's team leader. For David's career has been killed by teammate Kimi Raikkonen,” Eddie said in the Sun prior to the Belgian GP. “It's ironic that David started the season believing he would finally be McLaren's big hope following the retirement of double world beater Mika Hakkinen - only to find himself blown away by an even younger Flying Finn.”

After this Martin Whitmarsh, McLaren's managing director, come out in David's defence, stating that the Scot is driving better with each passing year, something Irvine has now refuted, continuing the war of words between them for another race weekend.

"He (Whitmarsh) said he is getting stronger every year. How can he possibly say that when the facts and figures show otherwise?” Eddie was quoted as saying in the latest issue of Formula One magazine. "This is DC's ninth season in Formula One, and he's never driven anything other than a Williams or a McLaren. If it hasn't happened now, it ain't going to happen. Kimi Raikkonen is the team No 1 quite obviously. Kimi is the future. DC may have more points but Kimi has shown him up. This year DC has won one race and been out-qualified by a teammate who is practically new to the sport. I don't want to have a go at DC, but how bad does that make him in 1996, when McLaren hired him, if he's been - as Whitmarsh says - 'one of those rare drivers who year-on-year becomes a better driver than the year before'?"

But, something that amazed the Jaguar driver even more than Whitmarsh's comments was the fact that David actually approached him in the Spa paddock and had a go at him for what he had written in the British paper, the Scot angry about the fact that Eddie stated he wasn't a star.

"What was a real surprise was the way David Coulthard came up at Spa and had a go at me for my comment in The Sun that he wasn't a star. He protested he was. It really impressed me he pays so much attention to everything written about him. There's me thinking no one's paying any attention, and there's little DC lapping up every word I say. Now I know all the wannabe stars read me.”

bron : f1-live.com

In mijn persoonlijke overtuiging over Dc kan ik Eddie alleen maar bijtreden :)

Finish
13-09-2002, 11:29
Soms spreekt hij ook eens de waarheid ;)

airco
15-09-2002, 01:16
vraag is over over wie zegt deze uitspraak het meeste ...

Over het talent van Raikonnen of over de onmacht van Coulthard. Ik zie in Coulthard zeker geen wereldkampioen ... Raikonnen daarentegen komt er wel ...
Toch heeft Coulthard zijn plaats in de F1 ... alleen misschien niet bij een top-team als mcLaren ... maar eerder bij Jaguar ofzo ....

dat irvine en Coulthard het dan maar uitvechten ... met gelijke middelen.

airco