PDA

View Full Version : Jockel hangt de helm aan de haak

Scapa
27-11-2003, 19:39
Afscheid van een grote meneer in de Toerisme racerij:

Former British Touring Car champion and German tin-top legend Joachim Winkelhock has announced his retirement from top level racing.

The 43-year-old from Waiblingen in Germany began racing in the one-make Porsche 944 Turbo Cup in 1986. He won the German Formula 3 title two years later. After failing to find any success in Formula 1, Winkelhock turned to touring cars, storming to the BTCC title in 1993 for BMW. He also won the Nurburgring and Spa 24 Hour races, but perhaps his finest hour came when he took victory in the Le Mans 24 Hours in 1999.

"After 25 highly successful years in motor racing I've decided that the time has come to put an end to my career," said Winkelhock. "I've enjoyed many successes at both national and international level, and the last few years in the DTM was a nice way to end my career. Although I don't rule anything out, whenever the occasion occurs I may be back behind the wheel."

I've enjoyed many successes
Joachim Winkelhock

Winkelhock switched from BMW to Opel in 2000 to help resurrect the DTM. Although he drops out of its ranks for 2004, he will remain with Opel's OPC racing department in an ambassadorial role.

"Joachim Winkelhock is one of the most successful and most popular touring car drivers in Germany," said Opel's Volker Strycek. "For Opel, and for the OPC, it can only be good to have him stay on board. We can only profit from his experience and popularity. We are pleased that he is staying with us."

bron: www.autosport.com

Sennake
27-11-2003, 20:41
Jockel? "Smoking Jo" zeker :)

Scapa
27-11-2003, 20:56
Jockel voor de Duitsers, Smoking Jo voor de Britten ;)

Guido
05-12-2003, 20:34
Originally posted by Sennake
Jockel? "Smoking Jo" zeker :)

Sie sollten ihren Deutsche Renngeschichte besser kennenlernen! :D Het boek "DTM - die Story" in Essen gekocht, bevat veel info, ook over Jockel. Weer een grote meneer die we moeten missen.

Help, we worden langzaam aan allemaal oud... :D