PDA

View Full Version : Gauloises Grand Prix Ceske Republiky

Alain
20-08-2004, 11:04
Preview

The MotoGP world championship paddock was reunited in the Czech Republic today after a four week summer break since the last round in Great Britain.

The riders looked relaxed and refreshed as they prepared for the first of seven races in two months, which will bring the curtain down on what has already been a stellar 2004 season.

After nine close races, which have produced four different winners, the fast and flowing Brno circuit promises more of the same – with memories still fresh of the last year's race, when Valentino Rossi beat Sete Gibernau by just 0.042 seconds.

Rossi returned from his holidays in Ibiza aware that he will have to be on top form for the remainder of the season if he wants to retain the title of MotoGP World Champion, which he has held for the past three seasons.

"Although I'm leading the championship it's not by enough points to feel safe yet, every point from now on is crucial if we are to think about being in a position to win the championship," said Rossi, who currently leads the standings by 22 points from Gibernau and Max Biaggi.

Troy Bayliss also took a starring role in the race last year, leading for the opening laps before finishing third, less than a second behind Rossi. It is a result the Australian would love to repeat, and he admits to feeling confident after recent progress made by Ducati.

"I honestly think we're moving in the right direction now and things are coming together," commented Bayliss, who was one of several riders to hone their competitive edge at a local shooting range today. "I am not one for looking into the past but I enjoyed this racetrack last year and another performance like that one would be nice."

Colin Edwards enjoyed his best performance in MotoGP with second place at Donington Park before the break and admitted that he was more than ready to return to action despite a meningitis scare just days before returning to Europe from his Texas home.

"I was taken ill for a couple of days and we weren't sure what it was," commented the American, who was cleared to ride by the MotoGP doctors this afternoon.

"There was a worry that it might be meningitis but it turned out to be a viral infection and I'm okay. Now I'm just looking forward to getting back on the racetrack - we've finally sorted out our problems with the bike and now I can show people the real Colin Edwards for the rest of the season."

Marco Melandri was also given the green light after an examination on the broken hand he suffered at Donington Park, whilst 250cc rider Roberto Rolfo also paid a visit to the Clinica Mobile for a check-up on the dislocated shoulder he sustained in a rare crash at the same track.

Rolfo is one of four factory Honda riders looking to prevent Aprilia from claiming their 100th victory in the quarter-litre class this weekend, although the favourite to do so is undoubtedly rookie sensation Dani Pedrosa.

The young Spaniard has finished in the top two at eight of the opening nine rounds this season and leads the championship by 34 points from Randy De Puniet. However, the Frenchman has not thrown in the towel yet and is confident of repeating his victory at this circuit from one year ago.

"The race here last season was one of the best of my career and obviously if I could repeat that on Sunday I will be happy," commented De Puniet. "Dani has a strong lead but there are seven races left in which I will be giving my maximum and anything could happen."

Pedrosa's 125cc heir at Honda, Andrea Dovizioso, also leads the championship but faces extra competition this weekend after his clear victory at Donington Park.

Casey Stoner returns with renewed determination after a two-race absence and is joined at KTM by young Austrian wild-card Michael Ranseder, who makes his grand prix debut just across the border from his and the team's home country.

With Aprilia, Derbi, Gilera and Malaguti also represented, the number of manufacturers in the minor class will boosted to seven this weekend with the return of Yamaha, who compete with Japanese wild-card rider Tomoyoshi Koyama.

Bron: www.crash.net

Alain
20-08-2004, 11:15
Ondanks de Olympische Spelen blijven de "race"fans niet in de kou staan. Zondag Race 10 van het WK in Brno. Als jullie prachtige en spannend e races willen zien, afstemmen op Eurosport en BBC voor livebeelden. Ned2 weet ik niet zeker of ze de race live uitzenden al dan niet in uitegsteld relais.

Jochie
20-08-2004, 11:20
Opnieuw 7 races in 2 maanden. Strak programma! :O

Maar mij hoort ge niet klagen, TV al vastgezet op Eurosport.
Bring it on!

Jochen

Jochie
20-08-2004, 11:22
Originally posted by alain
Ondanks de Olympische Spelen blijven de "race"fans niet in de kou staan. Zondag Race 10 van het WK in Brno. Als jullie prachtige en spannend e races willen zien, afstemmen op Eurosport en BBC voor livebeelden. Ned2 weet ik niet zeker of ze de race live uitzenden al dan niet in uitegsteld relais.

Eurosport heeft echt zijn prioriteit op motorsport staan.
Zoals het moet :D
Hopelijk persen ze de q sessies en warm-up voorbeschouwing er ook nog tussen.

Jochen

Alain
20-08-2004, 11:31
Blijkbaar niet. Vanaf 11u beginnen de live-uitzendingen.

Alain
20-08-2004, 11:37
FP1

1 John Hopkins (USA) Suzuki 2:02.112
2 Carlos Checa (ESP) Yamaha 2:02.424
3 Sete Gibernau (ESP) Honda 2:02.962
4 Kenny Roberts (USA) Suzuki 2:03.136
5 Nicky Hayden (USA) Honda 2:03.831
6 Loris Capirossi (ITA) Ducati 2:03.870
7 Shinya Nakano (JPN) Kawasaki 2:04.176
8 Alex Barros (BRA) Honda 2:04.411
9 Gregorio Lavilla (ITA) Suzuki 2:04.573
10 Ruben Xaus (ESP) Ducati 2:04.732
11 Valentino Rossi (ITA) Yamaha 2:04.922
12 Shane Byrne (GBR) Aprilia 2:05.978
13 Colin Edwards (USA) Honda 2:06.432
14 Norick Abe (JPN) Yamaha 2:06.601
15 Neil Hodgson (GBR) Ducati 2:06.945
16 Jeremy McWilliams (GBR) Aprilia 2:07.085
17 Troy Bayliss (AUS) Ducati 2:07.877
18 Marco Melandri (ITA) Yamaha 2:07.970
19 Nobuatsu Aoki (JPN) Proton 2:08.523
20 Michel Fabrizio (ITA) WCM 2:08.691
21 Alex Hofmann (GER) Kawasaki 2:09.215
22 Kurtis Roberts (USA) Proton 2:09.327
23 Max Biaggi (ITA) Honda 2:09.762
24 Makoto Tamada (JPN) Honda 2:10.311
25 Andrew Pitt (AUS) Moriwaki Honda 2:10.500

Bron: www.eurosport.com

Ach, dit wil nog niet veel zeggen. Het is daar immers vochtig.

Jochie
20-08-2004, 11:42
Originally posted by alain
Ach, dit wil nog niet veel zeggen. Het is daar immers vochtig. [/B]

De Suzukis zijn toch weer on pace.
En van Bayliss verwacht ik toch meer als het nat ligt.

Maar wat baat het allemaal, Rossi wint!

Jochen

Alain
20-08-2004, 11:56
Die kans is vrij groot!

Nu ja, het hangt ook allemaal een beetje van het weer af. Als het nat is, maakt hij volgens mij weinig kans. Dan kan je je geld zetten op Gibernau, Barros, Bayliss en Xaus. Shane Byrne mag dan bij de outsiders gerekend worden en een top 10 voor de jonge Fabrizio op de WCM is dan zeker haalbaar.